Sunday, June 7, 2009

What do we do?

Continuing with my string of quotation based posts, this comes from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

--This is it, Joel. It's going to be gone soon.
--I know.
--What do we do?

--Enjoy it.


Over the past couple years, I feel like I've been in many situations in which I've had to ask myself, "What do we do?" Or more commonly, "What now?"

I'm sure you've been there too, so the feeling the comes along with the question is familiar. No matter how much fun I'm having, asking those questions and thinking about the answers can be quite sobering...an unsolicited reality check.

Now I'm not saying that we should not consider the consequences of our actions; it is still important for us to practice good judgment and live responsibly. However, trying to live in the future by worrying about the next step only inhibits truly enjoying life in the present moment.

So whenever those questions try to pull me out of the present, I just remember these lines and do my best to be happy where I am...do my best to have faith that the answers and I will find each another when the time is right.

In this stage of my life post-graduation, faith and patience are probably the most important virtues I must have in order for me not to go crazy during my job search. Yet they are the hardest virtues to come by, especially when I have no idea what I'll be doing in even a few weeks.

Simply stated, to enjoy the present amid great uncertainty is a great act of faith. May you all have the faith you need to live in the moment and enjoy the present.

I'll close with another film quotation from Waking Life:

"There's only one moment. And it's now. And it's eternity."

No comments:

Post a Comment