Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hellos, goodbyes & lost souls


Compelled by the circumstances of my closest friends (which in turn have become my own circumstances), I would like to share with you the closing part of a "hello/goodbye" letter I wrote years ago.

Let it be stated that, yes, I did write this to a particular person. I smudged out the parts that were specific to this person and our relationship in an effort to keep the focus on myself and what I believe. So on the chance that these words look strangely familiar to you, know that this post was not for you but rather for all whom I love.

I call this a "hello/goodbye" letter because, in retrospect, I see that upon writing to say goodbye, I greeted a new phase of my life. Life went on with hellos wrapped up in every goodbye.

/\/\/\

Ok, I'm going to be really honest now...this is what I really hope.

...you'll realize that in this world, yes, we can do well independently and on our own...but we have hearts and souls. I know you don't want to "need" anyone, but really...that's how we make anything worthwhile. Without other people, what are we?

A bunch of lost souls.

One day, I hope you...realize this, that you might actually be ok with needing someone.

...

And guess what? I find a small bit of satisfaction in saying that if you're looking for me one day, I may or may not be there. Who knows how far I will have moved from you.

And so, in an effort to find my lost soul, I'm going to walk away from you. And I'll try not to look back to see if you're following, but it would be nice to search together one day.

...(bites lip), goodbye.

Always,
David

/\/\/\

I mentioned saying hello to a new phase and well, I now see that this letter was the beginning of one of the most important lessons in my life right now--the importance of being appreciated and not being taken for granted.

Each of us, including myself, is special and should be appreciated as a person. And sometimes a person, out of love, will take the risk, go out on a limb, and give up parts of themselves to another for free...not knowing whether or not the love will be returned. Some of you have never had to do this...but the rest of us--we do it every day.

It is unfair to assume that this person will always be there. It is unfair to take the love a person gives without recognizing the heart-wrenching courage and strength that went into giving it. It is unfair to make a person feel like s/he is special to you when you really just generically accept the love as just another friendship.

We are all wonderful, beautiful people. Please don't ever take the people who love you for granted...or else they might just end up walking away.

No comments:

Post a Comment