Friday, July 17, 2009

My Funny Brown Pinay

Tonight, I finally got the chance to see a jazz artist I've been wanting to see, Charmaine Clamor. I like her not just for the novelty of her being Filipina, but because she actually incorporates her Filipina identity into her music.

If you heard my Pil-Grad speech, then you might remember I said that to be an advocate of our community, all you have to do is be aware of who you are and your influences in whatever you do. And I think Charmaine Clamor is a great example of a person who has done just this.

Take this video, which is her rendition of the classic tune, "My Funny Valentine". The song is originally about a person who is not pretty in the typical sense but is still beautiful. In this version, "My Funny Brown Pinay", the lyrics now take on a different meaning, expressing the struggle of Filipina women in a white-dominated society.



She has released three albums, all three of which I now own. If you wanna hear more, just let me know, and you can have a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment